RHHD Health Equity Fund

Doula support has been an important intervention method to provide connection and health education to pregnant mothers.
  Existing literature has shown that:
●  22 percent lower odds of preterm birth (AOR 0.77 [95% CI0.61–0.96])
● 52·9% lower odds of c-section (95% CI:0·29–0.79) and 57·5% lower odds of postpartum depression and anxiety (95% CI:
● a reduction in odds postpartum depression and anxiety, 64·7% (95% CI:
●  in reducing maternal risk factors such as smoking and stress during pregnancy
The Black community in Richmond is unfortunately disproportionately affected by high infant mortality rates. 
National trends are similar in that:
● Black women are three to four times more likely to experience a pregnancy-related death than white women.
● Black women are more likely to experience preventable maternal death compared with white women, with a risk that spans income and education levels.
● Black women are more likely to experience complications including fibroids and preeclampsia throughout the course of their pregnancies than white women.
● Black women have a difficult time accessing the reproductive health care that meets their needs
● Black women are at a higher risk for preeclampsia, hypertensive disorders, preterm births and infant deaths